Wednesday, January 30, 2008

there will be blog

Was anyone else surprised that movie ended with Daniel Day Lewis sputtering about milkshakes in a bowling alley? Didn't see that one coming.

Have been thinking constantly of food today but am not actually hungry. Was confronted with the climax of this wee conflict when I walk into the teacher's lounge and an obscenely large apple crumb muffin leapt onto my face. The muffin won.

This time, instead of obscene comments, which I do normally cherish, I would like for you to help me learn something. Why, pray tell, do people choose to be hateful? Is this not a colossal waste of energy? Does it really make them feel better about themselves?

Lemme know. I will consider all theories, especially those that are backed with evidence. If said evidence is from film referenced in blog title, that's fun, too.

2 comments:

diana said...

it's been days (DAYS!) and no one's commented. does that mean you should open it up to the obscene now?

Grace said...

Hmm, maybe I should be, as usual, open to obscene comments...

I have been thinking about my own topic, and I think, as with DDL's character in There Will Be Blood, that some people feel comfort and control in hatefulness and negativity. Being loving is so much more difficult, since you cannot make other people love you. But hating someone means that you disregard how other people chose to feel about you. It can make you feel more powerful, but only temporarily, since it tears you down in the long run.